This is a hilarious video that overly-exaggerates the never-ending torture that comes from dealing with many of the clients when freelancing. Regardless of whether you’re a graphic designer, web designer/developer or multimedia designer, the start of the road to independent freelancing starts off very tough indeed.
Excuse the foul language, although it does make it even funnier!
When you decide to take on freelancing, even part time, with a vision of doing it exclusively and professionally down the road, you have to go through a test where only the fittest survive. The typical clients that you might start up with will always have the following characteristics:
- Stingy: They’ll splash $500 on the latest cologne, but design should be free
- Ignorant: No clue as to what the freelancer goes through, and how the process works
- Demanding: Want EVERYTHING, ASAP
- Underestimating: It’s easy, it’s just that they chose to take on real jobs, otherwise they would’ve been the best designers ever
- Unappreciative: Your job is to design, and be thankful that I’m paying you for such an easy and meaningless job
- Completely lost: No clue what they want, and cannot accept that vague idea cannot magically combine to create the perfect tangible product
As you become more and more professional, and your hourly rate rises as you gain experience, the majority of these characteristics begin to diminish. However, no matter how professional and experienced you are, you will always be dealing with client who are completely lost and have no clue as to what they want or how it could possibly be achieved.
But it’s our job, and we love it.